Saturday, September 29, 2007

I am now at the closest internet cafe to my house which is about two and a half hour round trip walk away. I think I will be able to make it here about once a week to write e-mails on the weekend. I have training all day every day during the week and a half day on Saturdays. I think there is one place in the neighboring town that has an international phone, but we have not found out where, or how to use it yet.
I am in a completely different world already! We got off the plane, got picked up and the first gas station I saw had a horse right next to it. It is hot, and there is wildlife everywhere. I am living with a family of three: Benito (father), Elsa (Mother), and Delia (their 18 year old daughter). Delia seems to be the only one who speaks fluent Spanish and I can make out what she is saying about %10 of the time. Comunicating is frustrating, but they are very nice.
So far I have learned about four sentences in Guarani. The lectures we recieve during training are taught in Spanish, by Paraguayans who don´t speak English. It is tough, but I hope to learn fast. I am extremely excited about being here, and learning about Paraguayan culture and language. Unfortunately I do not get a phone for three months (when we are sworn in as volunteers), so writing back home will be tough. Delia has a phone, so I may be able to recieve calls from home, but I have not spoken with her about that yet. Hope everyone is doing well!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad I will be able to hear all about your experiences as you encounter them.... this is great!! Hope things are going well and I look forward to hearing more : )

MoM said...

Hi Scott -
Hola to your new Paraguayan family from your Mom! So they speak Guarani in their home? Are all the lectures all day long in Spanish? Oh my gosh! Is the training right now all language training or are there other topics too? How far away are you living from the other new PC volunteers? Do you have your own room? Are you having all your meals with the family? I know, too many questions! We miss you!
Love,
MoM

Lourdes said...

Hola! Welcome to Paraguay, I hope you have good time and experience the next 2 years down here! I hope the adjustmen process be easy for you , specially, with the weather, the food and people!
all the best,
take care!
lourdes