Monday, October 15, 2007

My host family and some of their cousins drinking mate (tea that everyone here drinks). This is the portch where I am living for 3 months
When you are living on a three dollar per day budget money does not last long. I really have to start learning to live off of no money, because that is about the payment we are going to get for the rest of the time. Everything is very inexpensive here though. We walked around Asuncion and found a nonprofit organization and a couple of other sites, then talked about what we saw with the rest of the group at the main peace corps office. The main office is really nice. They have a pool, library, computers with Internet, and a phone line that is cheap to use for US calls. We can only use that phone after business hours though. Anyway, I am off to visit another volunteer tomorrow and excited to see a different part of the country. I am not going to be very far outside of the capital, but I think it will be very removed and old fashioned. I think they only speak Guarani at the site I am going to, so I am a little worried about communicating with people, but atleast a volunteer will be there. (He has been there for two years now).

Today we had our normal language class in the morning, lunch, then had a guest volunteer speaker talk to the group after lunch. She works a lot in the school system in her site which is interesting, but I am a little worried that I don’t really want to work that much with the school system, but they might expect me to. Afterwards we all got together and played soccer for half hour or so until it got dark. It is nice not having anything to read or do tonight so I watched TV for a while with my host family. They watch these crappie Brazilian soap operas all the time. I saw Al Gore on the news, but could not understand what they were talking about.

2 comments:

MoM said...

Hi Scott - Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize for his work on global warming. I suspect that is what you saw on the TV.

Steve Hawkins said...

Scott,

It sounds like you are gradually getting settled in and are busy. It is very interesting to read about your host family and their living situation. Also, your continued enthusiasm, which is very inspiring to Linda and me.