Saturday, November 10, 2007

Nov 9, 2007

Tonight I discovered that they have the card game Gin Rummy in Paraguay. There are also many other familiar things around , like Coke, Toyotas, rap songs and Nike shoes. The playing cards have different suits on them: swords, cups, coins and something that looks like potatoes but I have no idea what they are supposed to be. Within the familiar sights are an infinite amount of questions about what I see every day and why things are that way. For example: why doesn’t anyone drink water with their meal (or at all for that matter)...only tea during tea time (terrere time), why do people dress up in pants just to work outside or go on the bus, or what am I eating???

Tomorrow two trainees and I are giving a 30 min. presentation about compost piles to a few families in our community. We will have to talk in Guarani only, which is mostly for practice, but going to be hard. We are teaching about compost piles because trash management is a huge problem here. Most everyone either burns all of their trash in their back yard (including plastics and leaves), or they dump the trash on someone else's property. The chemicals from the burnt plastics get into the water supply, the vegetation, the soil, and case an incredible amount of health problems including cancer, and heart disease. Oh yeah, this is also incredibly bad for the air quality and the environment. One goal is to separate the trash into compostable, burnable, reusable, and buryable materials. Last weekend another three trainees organized a community trash pickup which about 30 kids participated in. They dug a huge hole, cleaned up the street and got certificates for completing the “peace corps” day program.

We are also learning about tree planting practices, teaching strategies, gardening, integration techniques, soil erosion prevention, nonprofit work, the government organizations which are not completely corrupt, community groups, etc., etc., etc. I am going to find out which site I will be staying at for the next two years two weeks from today. I am looking foreword to preparing for exactly what I will be working on, and have a break from the busy training routine.

Next week our Environmental Education group is traveling to a city called Carapegua, where we will be staying close to a volunteer there who does a lot of work with the school systems. There is a school which has a special education program there (one of the few in all of Paraguay), and I asked if I could sit in on a couple of classes to try to compare US Special Ed with Paraguay’s. Most children who have special needs simply stay home 24/7.

The other day I minority skinned up my leg playing soccer and when I got back, my host family instead on putting a “remedio” (home remedy) on it which the told me was cows blood...turns out they were just messing with me though. Heather sent me some chili powder and I am planning on cooking some spicy Mexican food for them soon (not sure what they will think).

4 comments:

mle... said...

It's pentacles...those are the suits of Tarot cards and often suits that nations who believe in more paganistic type ways use them over the Americanized hearts, diamonds, clubs & spades... That's so cool!

mle... said...

strike my last comment...I reread your entry and coins are the equivalent to pentacles in the Tarot...its probably wands, which is the suit of fire!

Sounds like you are doing some pretty amazing stuff already! Thanks for keeping us updated and have a great chicken filled Thanksgiving!

Holly said...

Hey Scott, This sounds like fantastic and such important work. I really hope we can figure out how to get this exchange between schools going! The whole idea of teaching composting as a means of dealing with waste is rather large and quite frankly, still could take on a it better here in the states. We call our compopst bin our "Bear feeder" and though we've not caught a bear yet, we really are producing some fabulous soil for the garden. So very wonderful all that you will be sharing. Have you any awareness of permaculture? take care of yourself, love, Holly

Unknown said...

Hi Scott, I hope you get to read this comment. I wasn't able to access the e-mail option on the page. I am a current PCV in Mongolia. I am interested in the training you did with composting/separating trash in your community which I read about in an old Peace Corps Times issue. Many Mongolian villages have the same problems with garbage disposal that you saw in Paraguay. I was wondering if you found information on this type of training from a certain resource that I could also refer to? Thanks!